Sunday, December 11, 2011

Don't Give Me That

Ah, yes, the holidays are almost upon us. Can't you feel the excitement of the season, the chill in the air, the body heat of the weirdos beside you as you and everyone else struggles to find that perfect gift? Yikes. Fortunately, I'm almost done with my Christmas shopping. Hopefully you are too, but if you're still in need of a gift for that special someone, I have some suggestions of what not to buy them for Christmas (or whatever holiday you may celebrate). Alternatively, some of these would qualify as fantastic "White Elephant" gifts for the mandatory office party that most of us aren't looking forward to attending (present company included).

1. A Car -- I know what you're thinking. "Isn't that the ultimate gift? Who wouldn't want a car?!" I'm not talking about purchasing a 1998 red Cavalier with exhaust problems for your sixteen year old (and if you are interested in said Cavalier, contact me...). I speak of those commercials where the fancy, expensive car with the giant red bow is parked outside of someone's window, and the recipient of the car cries or grins like the Cheshire Cat. Granted, I wouldn't mind waking up Christmas morning to find a blue Maserati with a giant red bow parked in my driveway, but think about this: If you buy your loved one a car, you will have to at least keep that standard up for next year. How do you top a fancy car? What's next year's present for this person? A yacht? A mansion? Their own private island? A town in Mississippi? Just keep in mind that the person you buy a car for this year might not appreciate it if you give them a Christmas sweater next year....speaking of which....

Lexus December to Remember Commercial

2. A Christmas-themed sweater -- A Christmas sweater is probably the lamest gift ever. It can only be used a month or two out of the year, and I have never seen one that isn't gaudy. Unless Aunt Gloria usually wears these things, and specifically asked for a sweater with a giant poinsettia and real jingle bells on it, it's probably not the best idea. This relative will remember that you were the culprit...and guess what you'll receive from sweet Aunt Gloria next year? Yep. And she'll find the one that has the Rudolph with the LED light-up nose. Not worth the risk. However, for the White Elephant gift, particularly if you're not fond of your co-workers, this is perfect. (I think I need to do a little more shopping!)

Image courtesy of http://www.uglychristmassweatershop.com/...yes, this site exists!

3. Forever Lazy/Snuggies -- Do I need to explain what either one of these atrocities entails? The "Forever Lazy" is basically pajamas without feet. (But they do come with slipper socks if you CALL NOW!!) Supposedly, people wear these things everywhere: a dance recital, football games, and to social gatherings. Look, I haven't seen anyone wear them anywhere yet; I'm thinking most people know better than to wear them in public. It's one thing to wear pajama bottoms to the grocery store to pick up milk; it's another to wear a onesie anywhere else...even though they have "handy escape routes in the front and back" so you can easily relieve yourself. Mmm-hmm. Don't do this to someone you love. Same with the Snuggie. Unless they ask for one, it's pretty lame....even the "designer" camouflage one.


4. Chia Anything -- Nothing says "I give up" quite like giving someone a Chia Thing. And I know it seems so easy, because they really do have a funky little Chia plant for everyone: Chia Goats, Chia Hippopotamus, Chia Marmaduke, Chia Garfield, Chia Homer Simpson...and I'm still on the fence wondering if the Chia Obama is a bit racist or a bit ironic...either way, someone who shall remain nameless (but I call her "Mom") bought me a Chia Kitty a few years ago. Lovely thought, right? Yeah. The damn thing wouldn't grow. In fact, it became rather moldy and gross. So don't risk giving your loved one a moldy Chia Statue Of Liberty. You can do better. (White Elephant paradise, people! In fact, I think they have a Chia Elephant...but I don't think they offer a Chia Disgruntled Co-worker. Yet.)



5. Food-of-the-Month Club -- I know I mentioned this in my post about bad birthday presents that I wrote a few months ago, but I cannot reiterate it enough: Unless you are certain that your uncle is heavily into candied nuts, don't enroll him in the "Candied-Nut-of-the-Month" club. Like I said before, this is the gift that keeps on giving...and giving...and giving. The person you give this to will remember you, and they will seek revenge. When you see the first shipment of the "Sardine-Of-The-Month" club show up on your door for your birthday, well...don't say I didn't warn you.

Gourmet Pickle of the Month Club

6. Fruitcake -- Does anyone actually eat this stuff? My Mom thinks it's hilarious that she gives C a block of fruitcake every year. She has done this for about twelve years now, and if we would have had the freezer space, C was going to save them and give them back to my Mom at some point. Fortunately, we didn't have the room, and I think it saved a giant fruitcake war that I wanted no part of. And these things stay "fresh" forever....you might not know how old the cake-like substance actually is that you're giving to your sweet Aunt Erma. Unless you know they love the stuff, don't.



7. Porn -- Especially NOT for Christmas. I mean, come on. On Jesus's birthday?! That's just creepy. And NOT for the White Elephant, either....unless you want the gift of a sexual harassment lawsuit....

Now you know what not to give your loved ones. Stuck for ideas? Give them the gift of you...your time, your efforts, and your love. Sure, it might sound terribly cheap, but to most people, it's what they really want. And maybe a gift card....

18 comments:

Sharon Ricklin said...

Rats...I guess I won't be sending you the bright red sweater with Santa and his FUZZY white beard in 3D then...

Or the fruit cake...

Have a great week, Lisa! :)

Amelia James said...

Forever Lazy? It's a bathrobe with legs.

My husband was jealous when his dad got a Beer-of-the-month membership. That was a good year for him.

freelulu said...

I second all of these. However, I did buy my brother, a superman fan, this Snuggie. http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Comfy-Throw-Blanket-Sleeves/dp/B0049H2ZDU

He loves all things "As Seen on TV". It's one in a string of gifts he's gotten: the microwaveable egg thingy, the pancake flipper, shake weight, the turbo snake and Blue Blockers. I'm sure he'll love this....

And I'm so bringing a christmas sweater as my gag gift to the company christmas party... : )

Lisa McFerren said...

Sharon: Hey, sure I'll take the sweater...it'll save me the time of having to find a crazy-looking one for the lucky recipient of my White Elephant gift at the office! You have a great week, too!

Amelia: I know it's a bathrobe with legs...and some schmuck is making a fortune off of those damn things. Ick. "Beer-of-the-Month" club might not be a horrible thing...hmmm...

Freelulu: My Mom is the queen of the "As Seen On TV" gag gifts, although a little birdie told me I'm getting those Eggies from my grandfather...for real, not as a gag gift. :O
My Mom bought my uncle the camo Snuggie a couple of Christmases ago; they have a Weezer Snuggie which I can't find the link for that would be the only one I would consider...though the one on your link is kind of cool, too! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking back to the worse gift ever. I think I told you once that my mom gave me watermelon windchimes 2 years ago. I opened that up and laughed my ass off! I thought it was a gag gift, but mom was serious. The watermelon windchimes hand out in the shop, away from public view! Oh, and gift cards? I can never remember the amount or what is left on the balance. Funny post Lisa, I loved it!

Lisa McFerren said...

Ranae: Yeah, those watermelon windchimes would be a perfect gag gift for my Mom. I don't know of many things that could top them! I might actually win this one! I think I need to do some online research on where to get them....because revenge is oh-so-sweet! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey wait, I like the chia pet ...

Lisa McFerren said...

Gene Pool Diva: Hey, nothing inherently wrong with the Chia Pet...if you have one, and it's not a weird, moldy mess, much respect! I just don't recommend it as your only gift to someone, unless they're notorious for giving the gag gifts. Or they're my Mom...

Ann B. Aguilar said...

Fruit cake is great for Jesus Birthday! That means I can't send you Christmas socks. How about some Cinnamon and some hot chocolate treat? Christmas cakes, Christmas bake macaroni, Christmas cookies.

Lisa McFerren said...

Ann: Christmas cookies!!! Yes. NOW you're speaking my language! :D

Jane said...

Geezz, read this just in time. Back to the drawing board for me!

Lisa McFerren said...

Jane: Well, it's good to know that I saved you from a possible gift-giving faux-pas! ;) You still have 11 shopping days...and hopefully you saved the receipt for the Snuggie...

D.C. said...

WTF is a Forever Lazy? Is it like a Snuggy blanket thingy?

Lisa McFerren said...

D.C. -- OMG. You don't know what a Forever Lazy is? You're so lucky! Remember the fuzzy, one-piece pajamas we had as a kid (with feet)?Picture if you will an adult version. They didn't include the feet, but they do come with slipper socks. The idea is that it's all warm and cozy, and the commercial shows people wearing their one-piece PJs everywhere possible...We Americans REALLY set the bar high when it comes to laziness. :-P

danneromero said...

hi i found you at diminishing gene pool... i was drawn to your snoopy image... i'm a high pitched snoopy fan!

the kids and i once bought a chia pet, just to see how it works... goofy, but sorta neat...the fruitcake looks... not so great - no wonder i've never tried it...

Lisa McFerren said...

Hi Dan! Thanks for dropping by! Yeah, I've been a Snoopy fanatic since I was very small...it's nice to "meet" another Snoopy enthusiast! :)
It's good that you could get your Chia Pet to work...maybe I did it wrong? Or maybe I received a defective one! And the fruitcake: there are some out there that actually look more like cake and less like a doorstop, but my Mom prefers the block o'cake to torture C with.

sooze said...

Hilarious post! I must disagree about the food of the month gift though. I mean, candied nuts, yeah...um, no. But bacon. If you got me a bacon of the month membership, I think I could love you.

Lisa McFerren said...

Soozzip: True: bacon is awesome! There is a "bacon of the month" club...just so you know. Now, what's your address? ;)