Sunday, January 1, 2012

You Want A Revelation, Some Kind Of Resolution

If you're looking for my list of resolutions for 2012, well, you won't quite find that here.

I don't make resolutions. I find that they're almost always instantly broken (you know, like when you're scarfing chocolate cake the day after making the infamous "I'm going to lose weight" resolution), thus leaving you feeling like a miserable failure on January 2nd. It's too much pressure! Gah!! So, what I do is, at the beginning of each year, make a mental list of intentions. It seems to be much easier on my psyche. It's much less formal, and it's in my head and not documented...so if it doesn't quite work out, there's no documented proof I ever even wanted it to! ;) But, since most of my intentions are good this January 1st (and, usually, most any other time), I thought maybe I would share a few with you...if you promise not to hold me to them!

1. I intend to finish writing a book. Any book. "Hodge-Podge" will be my focus very soon, but if something else pops up in my head and I want to explore that possibility, well...plans change, right? (Not that another concept has done so....or maybe it has...)

2. I intend to stop my head from exploding when I get upset. I have a short fuse. For those who have known me forever, reading this is no surprise. What needs to change some is the way I handle minor annoyances. Sweating the small stuff in life is something I have done for waaaay too long. Take driving. Most of you know how much I love to drive. My office moved this past week, adding another ten minutes to my already longer-than-it-should-be commute. Breathing exercises will be utilized like never before, probably to the point where I will keep a damn paper bag beside me in my car for hyperventilation purposes. Be proud, though, folks: I handled my first major flight delay and missed connection like a pro. (This will be further explained very soon!)

3. I intend to graduate. I'm finished with my classes in less than a month (!), so this one is a keeper. Champagne is already chilling in the fridge. Word of warning: Don't call, text, or try to contact me on the morning of January 25th. I will probably have a bigger headache than I do this morning! ;)

4. I intend to take better care of myself. I actually thought I was doing a fantastic job of this, but a recent health scare has proven me very wrong. As soon as they figure out what's wrong with me, hopefully my 3-month workout hiatus will be over and my "nerd guns" will be a-blazing once again. (Yes, this nerd once had guns...and a six-pack! Scary thought, right?)

5. I intend to let go of the past and move ahead to the future. I know I've blogged about letting go in the past, but it seems to be easier said than done. I try not to give up on people or bad situations, even though some folks have given me every reason in the world to lose faith in them. I try so hard to see the good in everyone. Mostly, I've seen that this results in frustration and hurt feelings on my part. So, the people in my life who want to be in my life: You're the ones on whom I will focus my love, respect, and energy. If I feel you've been a complete jerk to me, and I've tried everything to keep you in my life (for some stupid reason): You have to go. Period. Beat it.

Since this is a blog and not a book, I'll stop there. I know they sound like resolutions, but they really aren't. They're intentions; I will be slightly disappointed in myself but not devastated if I flip someone the bird on the highway, or if I have a piece of carrot cake. Basically, they're just little ways I can improve my life and goals which I would like to reach. Whatever your intentions are for the new year, I hope you are successful at keeping them in mind as you live your life. Happy New Year!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post! Driving isn't worth getting so stressed over. People are just dumb drivers. Flipping them off won't make them drive better :) Good luck in the upcoming year.

Lisa McFerren said...

Anonymous: Hi! Thanks for dropping by. :) I know; flipping people off won't improve their driving or increase my popularity on the roads. Also, I think taking that action irritates me more somehow! It's definitely a situation which I need to learn to handle in a better way, and that doesn't involve playing "bumper cars" with the next moron who cuts me off...

Karrpark said...

Really liked this. All good stuff. Particularly like the 'intentions' versus 'resolutions' concept. And your #5 is spot on. Focus on the love already there. Happy New Year!

Lisa McFerren said...

Karrpark: Howdy! Yeah, there is less commitment involved with intentions; plus, resolutions are so cliche. ;) With #5, it was something that for some reason took me a while to figure out. It's all about cutting out the negative people and situations and focusing on the positivity! Thank you, and Happy New Year to you! :)

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
As usual I like your thoughts!
Love your Graduating soon! This something many cannot accomplish!
#5 rings true to my heart this year! I also had a friend move on! I'm just trying to take the positive and move on!I have so many other friends in my life! Figure it's her loss!FYi! I realize! : ) someone or thing is around the corner who needs me more!
Your young - enjoy the journey!
Once again Congrats Lisa! WOOT! WOOT!
Hugs! Jill T.

Lisa McFerren said...

Hi Jill!! Yeah, I can't wait to finally be finished with classes! I have to wait until May to graduate, but at least after this month, I'll have a LOT more free time! :)

Letting go is difficult, but you're right: Taking any positive aspect of that situation and learning from it as we move on is essential. Life experiences like this make us who we are and allow us to grow.

It's all about the positivity! Hugs back!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the impending graduation! :D Yay!

Lisa McFerren said...

zencherry: Thanks! I'm pretty excited...it's almost over! :)