Friday, June 15, 2012

It's Been Awhile

The title says it all, doesn't it? I know. I haven't blogged. If you follow me on Twitter and/or are a Facebook friend, you might have noticed my absence there, too. What's up with that, you ask? And what am I doing now? Let's catch up, shall we?

First off, for the three of you who don't know, I graduated last month! No more profs, no more books! I'm glad it's over...now the job hunt begins. It's rough out there, folks! Fortunately, I already have a job, but I'm looking for a complete career change. Of course, more money would be nice too! So, I'm busy sending out resumes and cover letters and hoping for the best. Crossing my fingers for awesomeness!

Then there is writing. I would love to say I've been busy finishing up Hodge-Podge, but I can't. I confess: I haven't even looked at my short story collection for weeks. However, my novel-in-progress, Bloody Sunset, received a complete overhaul. I changed my main characters around a bit; it's still a vampire novel, but it is minus one vampire...and plus one witch. Crazy, right? I know it seems minor, but I can't believe what a difference this made, not to mention the plot twists it created! I think this will be a more suspenseful book with characters who have way more depth and bigger personalities. One of them you love to hate, one of them you hate to love! The horrible thing is that I now have over 200 pages that I have no use for. Yeah. Did I mention it was a complete overhaul? Oh well. I'm excited about this metamorphosis, and I hope you will be too!!

On the music front, Metric and Garbage both have new albums. I highly suggest that you check them out. Shirley Manson still has it, people. She can wail! And Emily Haines doesn't disappoint either.

A review of Selso Xisto's Particle Horizon will be coming in the near future! Let's just say if you like sci-fi, you should give this book a look! Also, I've been doing a little beta reading for an awesome author who also specializes in vampires. Sharon Jones will soon be bringing you some epic vampire romance. Get ready!

Hmmm...I think that covers everything! I'll try not to neglect the blog from now on. Later!

10 comments:

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

Congratulations on your graduation! Best of luck in a career change. I know it's not easy right now.

Lisa McFerren said...

Thanks, Julia! It's definitely crazy out there, but I'm confident that eventually I'll find what I'm looking for!! :)

Unknown said...

Congrats on your graduation!

200 pages you now have no use for? yes... just a MINOR overhaul... that's only two thirds of my entire novel!

Lisa McFerren said...

Ciara: Thank you! Just glad I'm finished with school...at least for now!

Yeah. 200 pages. It was about half of the novel! The problem is that my characters have evolved so much from that first draft, I can't really incorporate anything from it with version 2.0. Kind of sucks!

Barb D said...

Congrats on your graduation! And good luck with the job search....my fingers are crossed for you!

Lisa McFerren said...

Thank you, Barb! Much appreciated!! :)

D.C. said...

Good luck on the job search, Lisa. I'd offer up a personal reference but that might just get you a restraining order instead of a job offer.

Lisa McFerren said...

D.C: Well, thank you anyway!! A restraining order? Wow...even here? In another country? What have you been up to? ;)

Sharon Ricklin said...

Hehe, thanks for the plug there my little beta reader! :)

And today I am working on a lovely blog award for you my sweet friend~

Glad you are done with school (I already did know that, but it must feel so great for you!) And whatever you do, don't throw out those 200 pages...they may be useful to you in the future...

On a sad note, I just got my 3rd rejection letter :( ...but hey, I've got like 19 more agents to query. le sigh...

ps. what page are you on now?

Lisa McFerren said...

Hi Sharon! I just got back from vacation, so sorry about the delay. I've already deleted a good majority of that 200 pages, which was both frustrating and cathartic. What can you do?

Maybe you haven't found the right agent yet...but you will, I just know it! I finished the book and enjoyed it a lot, and when I get some sleep (because I haven't really slept the last 4 nights)I'll give you more detailed feedback! :)