Friday, October 12, 2012

Spice Up Your Life

Autumn. When this lovely season arrives, it brings colder temperatures with crisp winds, leaves colored in vivid red, orange, and yellow hues, and seasonal grub we all look forward to devouring. Caramel apples, candy corn in all its waxy glory...and pumpkin everything. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin rolls, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin pie soda (!), and the now-coveted pumpkin spice lattes. However, the pumpkin craze might be going too far. The newest addition to the 'pumpkin flavored' family: pumpkin pie spice Pringles. Yep, you read that right. Those potato crisps in a can have gone sweet instead of savory. I'm adventurous when it comes to food, but even I don't know if I can handle those...and I ate a donut burger last year, folks.

So this got me thinking: What foods would be truly tragic if touched by the pumpkin spice fairy? Here's a list of a few of the foods which should never be pumpkin spiced! Some might be personal preference, but most are just common sense.



1. Dill Pickles -- Even that weird stork would say, "That's the nastiest crunch I've ever heard!" Although, Vlasic did make lime-flavored pickles a few years ago...hmmm...












 2. Hot Dogs/Hamburgers -- Because pumpkins shouldn't be in a bun.












3. Chicken Noodle Soup -- M'm, m'm, gag!!













4. Cheese Puffs -- There's something a bit unsettling about the thought of a cheese puffed snack with the aftertaste of pumpkin pie, no? And would your fingers still be the signature unnaturally orange color, or would there be a tinge of brown? Think about it. Not. Cool.

And for my Canadian readers ===>

(Either way, don't cover 'em with pumpkin funk!)










5. Gravy -- Even Crystal Gravy sounds better than brown (or even the disturbing neon yellow) gravy getting the pumpkin spice treatment. Don't remember or unfamiliar with the 'Crystal Gravy' Saturday Night Live commercial? Check it here. It's rather awesome.









6. Snickers Candy Bars -- Don't touch my Snickers. It's bad enough the peanut butter ones and that strange "Snickers Charged" energy bar were created, but if I see a 'pumpkin-spiced' Snickers bar, heads will roll. I pity the fool.












Those are just a few of the foods which should be spared from the unholy horror of pumpkin flavoring. I'm sure you can come up with more. Just remember, people: Not everything should be subjected to that hint of 'gourdy goodness'. Use your spices wisely!





4 comments:

Amelia James said...

Do not read this post before breakfast. Or right after. ;)

Lisa McFerren said...

Amelia: I guess I should have added a disclaimer! ;)

D.C. said...

I make pumpkin creme brulee every year and it's awesome! Okay, I think pumpkin spice scrambled eggs would be pretty fuggin' gross.

Lisa McFerren said...

D.C. -- See, I'm good with that. It's already a dessert, and it has a custardy-vanilla flavor which would be perfect for pumpkin flavoring.

Eggs! Nasty! I've seen recipes for frittatas with pumpkin flavoring, though...not good!