A few of you might be wondering about my recent absence from
this blog, Facebook, Twitter, and all the other social media stuff. Aside from
the fact that I can’t stand Facebook and am only on it because, for whatever
reason, my Mom’s way into it, I’ve been what can only be described as uber-busy.
My last post was all about how I quit my job after nearly
eleven years of being there. I immediately started a new job the following
week, and my life hasn’t been the same since. As the 80s TV show theme song
states, it’s a different world from where I come from. I went from working for
a company with an office of twelve employees to working for a company with over
425 employees spread out over six locations in four states. I work at one of
the two biggest offices. Talk about culture shock!
Since I haven’t had to worry about it for a long time, I
forgot how stressful the experience of starting a new job really is. Nothing
humbles you like being in an unfamiliar place with people you don’t know who have
been working there a lot longer than you. I went from being a big fish in a
little pond to being a minnow swimming upstream trying to get to the big pond. Even
after a month of being there, I’m still the newbie, the rookie. I try to prove
myself every single day. It’s a lot to get used to.
I’m breaking into a new field. This means I’m unfamiliar
with the jargon, the processes, and pretty much everything else.
Fortunately, I’m a fast learner. Unfortunately, my perfectionist self thinks I
should already know everything. I tend to beat myself up when my boss comes to
me with a mistake, even though she insists it’ll be okay and now I know what
not to do. It’s less frustrating than it was the first week, when I was
convinced I made the biggest mistake of my life by changing jobs. I even
considered begging my old employer to get my job back.
I’m glad I didn’t.
Between having to learn new things every day and getting
used to my surroundings and the people, my brain is exhausted. I come home and
think of writing or blogging, but it doesn’t happen. The words aren't there. My routine for the last
few weeks after I arrive home from work has been the following: I exercise, eat
dinner, and veg out. I’ll admit it. Even on weekends, writing hasn’t been easy.
I’m hoping that will change as I adapt to my new situation; I miss messing with
my characters!
So, that’s where I’ve been for the last month. Despite the
initial difficulties, I now enjoy my new profession. I think once I get into a
groove, I’ll no longer be thrown off, and I’ll be writing a lot more. Stay
tuned, folks!
8 comments:
Nice to have you back, Lisa!
It's good to hear you're doing well at your job. Keep your chin up and all will be fine :)
Julia: Thanks...it feels good to be back!! :)
Faye: Thank you. It's a little rough, but I'm slowly adapting to everything and everyone...and they're adapting to me. ;)
You will be great once you get in the groove of things. And come back to us!!! We need you.
Thanks, D.C.! I'm working on it. Once the newness wears off and I know more about what the hell I'm doing, my head will be in a better place.
Glad everything is settling down for you now, and I'm glad you like your new job!
I'm looking forward to you getting back to writing too, since I need to read MORE of Your story! :)
Speaking of stories...did I ever send you book 4 of Ravenswynd? I don't see it in my sent files, but with me and my terrible habit of deleting emails, one never knows...
Hey, if you get a chance, perhaps you could post a "reviw" of book one on Amazon and/or GoodReads??? I would be forever in your debt!
My cover for book two should be ready this weekend, and I'm hoping to get it published sometime in June-ish.
(and yes, you will be listed as one of my beta-readers again!) I'm so thankful for all the time you've taken to read my stuff!
hugs,
Sharon :)
Hey Lisa, where've you been? I realized I haven't seen you around twitter lately so I searched an @lisasalterego is gone, so I looked for you here. I hope all is well! ~Elaine/@mousicorn
Post a Comment